Best Hotels In Siem Reap: Ta Prohm Temple And Angkor Thom
Siem Reap is a popular tourist destination in Cambodia, known for its rich history and stunning temples. Among the many attractions, Ta Prohm Temple and Angkor Thom are two of the most visited sites and offer an unforgettable experience to tourists. Here’s everything you need to know about these two places, including their history, attractions, and accommodations.
|Address||Ta Prohm Temple: Angkor Archaeological Park, Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia
Angkor Thom: Angkor Archaeological Park, Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia
|Location||Ta Prohm Temple: South of East Mebon and East of Angkor Thom
Angkor Thom: North of Tonle Sap lake and South of Angkor Wat
|Category||Ta Prohm Temple: UNESCO World Heritage Site
Angkor Thom: UNESCO World Heritage Site
|Price||Ta Prohm Temple: $37 for a one-day ticket
Angkor Thom: $37 for a one-day ticket
|Attractiveness||Ta Prohm Temple: Ancient ruins and jungle overgrowth
Angkor Thom: Ancient ruins including Bayon Temple and Elephant Terrace
|Road Access||Ta Prohm Temple: Motorbike, Tuk-tuk, or Car
Angkor Thom: Motorbike, Tuk-tuk, or Car
|Short History||Ta Prohm Temple: Built in the late 12th and early 13th centuries as a Buddhist monastery and university
Angkor Thom: Built in the late 12th century as the capital city of the Khmer Empire
Reasons Why We Should Visit
- To witness the stunning architecture and intricate carvings of the temples.
- To experience the unique atmosphere of the jungle intertwined with ancient ruins.
- To learn about the rich history and culture of the Khmer Empire.
- To take breathtaking photos of the temples and their surroundings.
- To immerse yourself in the spiritual and peaceful ambiance of the temples.
Ta Prohm Temple was built in the late 12th and early 13th centuries as a Buddhist monastery and university. The temple was abandoned in the 16th century and left to the mercy of the jungle, which overtook the ruins and created a unique and stunning landscape.
Angkor Thom was built in the late 12th century as the capital city of the Khmer Empire. The city was home to many temples and monuments, including Bayon Temple and Elephant Terrace. The city was abandoned in the 17th century and left to the mercy of the jungle, which overtook the ruins and created a unique and stunning landscape.
Both Ta Prohm Temple and Angkor Thom were rediscovered in the 19th century and have since been restored and preserved as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Ta Prohm Temple was used as a location in the movie Tomb Raider starring Angelina Jolie.
- Angkor Thom was the largest city in the world in the late 12th century, covering an area of 9 square kilometers.
- Ta Prohm Temple is also known as the “Tomb Raider Temple” due to its appearance in the aforementioned movie.
- The Angkor Archaeological Park, which includes Ta Prohm Temple and Angkor Thom, is the most visited attraction in Cambodia.
- What is the best time to visit Ta Prohm Temple and Angkor Thom?
- The best time to visit is during the dry season from November to February.
- How long does it take to explore Ta Prohm Temple and Angkor Thom?
- It usually takes a full day to explore both sites.
- Are there any restrictions on what you can wear when visiting the temples?
- Yes, visitors are required to dress modestly, covering their shoulders and knees.
- Are there any food and drink options available near the temples?
- Yes, there are many food and drink options available near the temples, including local Cambodian cuisine.
Visiting Ta Prohm Temple and Angkor Thom offers a unique and unforgettable experience that combines ancient history, stunning architecture, and natural beauty. The temples are well-preserved and offer visitors a glimpse into the rich culture and heritage of the Khmer Empire. Additionally, the surrounding jungle and wildlife add to the magical and mystical ambiance of the temples.
Make sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes as there is a lot of walking involved in exploring the temples. Bring sunscreen, water, and insect repellent to protect yourself from the sun and bugs. Consider hiring a guide to provide in-depth knowledge and history of the temples.
Ta Prohm Temple and Angkor Thom are two of the most popular tourist attractions in Siem Reap, Cambodia. These ancient ruins offer a unique and unforgettable experience that combines stunning architecture, natural beauty, and rich history and culture. Whether you are a history buff, a photography enthusiast, or simply looking for a spiritual and peaceful experience, Ta Prohm Temple and Angkor Thom are a must-visit destination.