Best Hotels In Bandar Seri Begawan: Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque And Jame'Asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque
Bandar Seri Begawan, the capital city of Brunei Darussalam, is known for its majestic mosques and cultural heritage. Among the many attractions in the city, the Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque and Jame’Asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque stand out as two of the best places to visit. In this article, we will provide you with all the necessary information about these two sites, as well as some tips and recommendations for your trip to Bandar Seri Begawan.
|Address||Jalan McArthur, Bandar Seri Begawan BS8711, Brunei Darussalam|
|Location||Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam|
|Attractiveness||The two mosques are considered as the most beautiful mosques in Southeast Asia.|
|Road access||Accessible by car, taxi, or public transportation.|
|Short history||The Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque was built in 1958 and named after the 28th Sultan of Brunei, while Jame’Asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque was built in 1992 and named after the current Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah.|
Reasons why we should visit
- The Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque is a beautiful example of Islamic architecture, with its golden dome, marble minarets, and serene lagoon.
- The Jame’Asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque is one of the largest mosques in the world, with 29 golden-domed minarets and a capacity of up to 30,000 worshippers.
- Both mosques offer a glimpse into the rich Islamic heritage of Brunei Darussalam and Southeast Asia.
The Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque was built to commemorate the 1953 Silver Jubilee of Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien III, who was the first sultan to reign over an independent Brunei. The mosque was designed by an Italian architect, Cavaliere Rudolfo Nolli, and was completed in 1958.
Jame’Asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque, on the other hand, was built to mark the 25th anniversary of the reign of the current Sultan, Hassanal Bolkiah. The mosque was designed by a Filipino architect, Leandro V. Locsin, and was completed in 1992.
Both mosques have become iconic landmarks of Bandar Seri Begawan and Brunei Darussalam, attracting tourists and worshippers from around the world.
- The Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque is considered as one of the most beautiful mosques in the world, and has been featured on several international travel magazines.
- The lagoon surrounding the Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque is home to several species of fish and birds, including the rare and endangered proboscis monkey.
- The Jame’Asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque is the largest mosque in Brunei Darussalam, and is known for its intricate Islamic calligraphy and ornate decorations.
- Both mosques are open to visitors of all religions, but visitors are required to dress modestly and remove their shoes before entering the prayer halls.
- Can non-Muslims enter the mosques? Yes, but visitors are required to dress modestly and remove their shoes before entering the prayer halls.
- Is there an entrance fee for the mosques? No, entrance to the mosques is free.
- What is the best time to visit the mosques? The mosques are open from morning until evening, but it is best to visit early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid the heat.
- Are there any guided tours available? Yes, guided tours are available for a fee, but visitors can also explore the mosques on their own.
- Is it safe to travel to Bandar Seri Begawan? Yes, Brunei Darussalam is one of the safest countries in Southeast Asia, with low crime rates and a peaceful society.
Visiting the Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque and Jame’Asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque will give you a unique cultural experience and a deeper understanding of Islamic heritage. Both mosques are also located in the heart of Bandar Seri Begawan, making it easy to explore other attractions and landmarks in the city.
Make sure to dress modestly and remove your shoes before entering the prayer halls. It is also recommended to visit the mosques early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid the heat. If you want to learn more about the history and significance of the mosques, consider taking a guided tour.
The Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque and Jame’Asr Hassanil Bolkiah Mosque are two of the best places to visit in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam. Both mosques offer a unique cultural experience and a glimpse into the rich Islamic heritage of Southeast Asia. Make sure to dress modestly, remove your shoes, and visit early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid the heat.